“Our business is in good shape today and coming years. Yet, I have the strong impression that we need a senior management community that has a deeper understanding of the fast developments in our market and in the technological space, that will impact our organisation and our business model of the future” CEO in first meeting
The client and the context
A fast growing (organic and through acquisition) business-to-business, wholesale distribution organisation that is seen as a European market leader in its market, operating a well-oiled webshop and logistics network, in multiple countries. Turnover: over 700 Mio; people: over 2,000
- Business is good shape, yet expected to be impacted significantly by developments on supply side, in technology and on the market/client side
- There is a vision and objective defined for 2020, yet, not substantiated with clear, credible, concrete and shared picture on what it entails and requires from the organisation
- Senior management community is typically more operational, and inside and functionally focused, opportunity to grow strategic leadership with strong antennas into the market and environment
How to build a senior leadership community, with Board and direct reports, that is connected to what is happening in the world around us, as well as connected with each other, in such a way that it accelerates the development of our future strategy and the individual and collective leadership capabilities?
What did we do and how?
- We organized outside-inspiration experience, in Rotterdam (NL), Chicago areas and Silicon Valley (US) and in Berlin (DE) to experience how other organisations build their future business (model) leveraging state of the art technology: ELP designed and facilitated the journey, to go from inspiration to harvesting and transposing the lessons to own context. We shifted the individual and collective mindset and drive to build the future, together.
- We designed and facilitated a series of meetings with top 25 leaders to accelerate and structure the process of making choices, to both improve today’s business as well as transform the business to the future blueprint we co-created. This created a sense of direction and ownership
- We designed and facilitated the top 120 meeting to engage management community in their role in improving and transforming the business, to engage them into leading the organisation to become more fit for the future.
- We are setting up a virtual company development office to develop the strategy, organisation and leadership to realise its future vision and ambition, today and tomorrow. This drives an agile execution-by-learning approach and style and ensures rigour and vigour in building the company of the future
- Clear alignment on business priorities for the year
- Robust process to develop credible strategic plan and roadmap for the coming years with senior management
- Increased ownership of critical business actions, increasing the execution power in the organisation
- More aligned and connected Board, and senior management community, with a keen eye for external developments
- Clear development path and dynamic for the coming years